What is the Alameda MED-Project?

Alameda MED-Project is the public, non-profit entity implementing the Alameda County Product Stewardship Plan, including the education and outreach programming.

What should I do if I am having a medical emergency?

If you are having a medical emergency, contact emergency medical services immediately by dialing 911.

What should I do if I think I have ingested something poisonous?

If you think you have ingested something poisonous, contact emergency services immediately. Please dial 911 or contact your local poison control center.

What should I do if my pet has ingested medication?

If you believe your pet may have ingested human or animal medication not intended for consumption by your pet, please contact your veterinarian or local animal poison control hotline.

Whom should I call with a question about my medication?

Please direct all questions regarding your medication to your health care provider.

Where can I find information about the safe storage of medication?

You should follow any storage instructions provided by your healthcare provider, and any written instructions provided with your medication or listed on its packaging.In addition, many government agencies provide information regarding safe storage of medication. Possible sources include the National Institutes of Health’s information page and the CDC’s information page.

Where can I find information about California’s Prop 65?

California’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) provides information regarding Proposition 65. Information can be accessed via OEHHA’s Proposition 65 web site.

Can I flush my medication down the toilet?

Do not flush prescription medications down the toilet unless the information on the label, package or package insert specifically instructs you to do so.

Should I remove my personal information before disposing of my medication?

Please remove all personal and identifying information from your medication labels and/or its packaging before disposal.

Where are the Alameda MED-Project disposal locations nearest me?

Alameda MED-Project is providing disposal locations throughout Alameda County. For more information about the location nearest to you, please visit the Take-Back Events and Convenient Kiosks portion of the Alameda MED-Project web site, or call the hotline at 1-844-MED-Proj.

Will it cost me anything to dispose of my expired or unwanted medications?

There will be no fee for medication disposal charged at the point of collection.

What items can I dispose of in the Alameda MED-Project kiosks?

Medications in any dosage form in their original container or sealed bag may be turned in at kiosks. The following are not accepted in kiosks: herbal remedies, vitamins, supplements, cosmetics, other personal care products, compressed cylinders, aerosols, inhalers, medical devices, pet pesticide products, sharps, illicit drugs, and iodine containing medications. Combination products will only be accepted at take-back events.

Will there be any take-back events in my area?

Please visit the Alameda MED-Project web site or dial the hotline at 1-844-MED-PROJ to learn about upcoming take-back events in your area.

Where else can I find information about the safe disposal of expired or unwanted medicines?

Several government agencies provide information regarding safe disposal of medication. Please refer to the FDA’s website for more information: “Consumer Updates: How to Dispose of Unused Medicines.”

What is recommended for safe disposal of expired or unwanted medicine in Alameda County?

The following disposal options and sequence should be considered when disposing of unwanted medicine:

Check the Package: If there are any specific instructions for disposal on the label, package or package insert, please follow those instructions.

  1. Do not flush prescription drugs down the toilet unless the information on the package specifically instructs you to do so.

Take-Back Events: Local take-back events may be sponsored in your area, and offer residents a free and convenient way to dispose of expired or unwanted medicines.

Convenient Kiosks: Community drug take-back locations at local law enforcement agencies allow residents to bring expired or unwanted medicines to a convenient, centralized location for proper disposal.

In-Home Disposal: If no disposal instructions are given on the prescription drug labeling and no take-back program is available in your area, throw the drugs in the household trash following these steps.

  1. Remove them from their original containers and mix them with an undesirable substance, such as used coffee grounds or kitty litter (this makes the drug less appealing to children and pets, and unrecognizable to people who may intentionally go through the trash seeking drugs).
  2. Place the mixture in a sealable bag, empty can, or other container to prevent the drug from leaking or breaking out of a garbage bag.1
1, page last updated May 09, 2017.
Where can I find more information on the Alameda County Safe Drug Disposal Ordinance?

For more information about the Alameda County Safe Drug Disposal Ordinance, please see: