What is the MED-Project?

MED-Project is the entity implementing the Product Stewardship Plan, including the education and outreach programming.

What should I do if I am having a medical emergency?

If you are having a medical emergency, contact emergency medical services immediately by dialing 911.

What should I do if I think I have ingested something poisonous?

If you think you have ingested something poisonous, contact emergency services immediately. Please dial 911 or contact your local poison control center.

What should I do if my pet has ingested medication?

If you believe your pet may have ingested human or animal medication not intended for consumption by your pet, please contact your veterinarian or local animal poison control hotline.

Whom should I call with a question about my medication?

Please direct all questions regarding your medication to your health care provider.

Where can I find information about the safe storage of medication?

You should follow any storage instructions provided by your healthcare provider, and any written instructions provided with your medication or listed on its packaging. In addition, many government agencies provide information regarding safe storage of medication. Possible sources include the National Institutes of Health’s information page and the CDC’s information page.

Where can I find information about California’s Prop 65?

California’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) provides information regarding Proposition 65. Information can be accessed via OEHHA’s Proposition 65 web site, available here.

Should I remove my personal information before disposing of my medication?

Please remove all personal and identifying information from your medication labels and/or its packaging before disposal.

Where are the MED-Project disposal locations nearest me?

MED-Project is providing disposal locations throughout the county. For more information about the location nearest to you, please visit the “Convenient Locations" portion of the MED-Project website, or call the hotline at 1-844-MED-PROJ.

Will it cost me anything to dispose of my expired or unwanted medications?

There will be no fee for medication disposal charged at the point of collection.

What items can I dispose of in the MED-Project kiosks?

Kiosks accept medications in any dosage form in their original container or sealed bag. No herbal remedies, vitamins, supplements, cosmetics or other personal care products; compressed cylinders, aerosols, and inhalers; medical devices; sharps; illicit drugs; or iodine-containing medications will be accepted.If you do transfer your medications to a sealed bag, please be sure to recycle all remaining packaging.

Will there be a take-back event in my area?

Please visit the Take-Back Events portion of to learn about upcoming take-back events in your area or dial the hotline at 1-844-MED-PROJ to learn about take-back events in your area.

I am disabled or homebound and am unable to go to a kiosk or attend a take-back event. How can Idispose of my expired or unwanted medicine?

Please dial the hotline at 1-844-MED-PROJ or visit the mail-back page of to request a pre-paid envelope to return your unwanted or expired medicine.

What is recommended for safe disposal of expired or unwanted medicine in my area?

The United States Food and Drug Administration developed the following guidelines to encourage the proper disposal of medicines and help reduce harm from accidental exposure or intentional misuse after they are no longer needed¹:

Check the Package: If there are any specific instructions for disposal on the label, package or package insert, please follow those instructions.

Convenient Kiosks: Transfer unused medicines to collectors registered with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Authorized sites may be retail, hospital or clinic pharmacies, and law enforcement locations. Some offer mail-back programs or collection receptacles (“kiosks”). Visit the DEA’s website or call 1-800-882-9539 for more information and to find an authorized collector in your community.

Mail-Back Packages: Mail-Back services for unwanted medicine are available to differentially-abled or homebound residents upon request. Please dial the hotline at 1-844-MED-PROJ or visit the mail-back page of to request a pre-paid envelope to return your unwanted or expired medicine. Home healthcare professionals providing services to differentially-abled or homebound residents may also request an envelope on behalf of differentially-abled or homebound residents. Mail-back package distribution locations may also be available in your area.

Take-Back Events: Take advantage of programs that allow the public to take unused drugs to a central location for proper disposal. Contact the Santa Clara County's HHW Program at (408) 299-7300 to find medication disposal locations in your area.